Monday, January 17, 2011

My first squiggly

I finished piecing this together last night:


It's the biggest quilt I've made to date and I think I did a pretty good job of it. But now I have to finish it and I've realised that I can't keep putting it off, I'm going to have to learn how to free motion quilt coz I don't think sewing in straight lines will do this quilt justice. I'm all prepared for it too so despite the fact that it was past midnight I had my first go at stippling on one of the placemats that I made for practicing on. And here's how I went...


Front. This is the placemat I liked the least so it was my first guinea pig.


Some detail. A bit choppy when changing direction but I did notice I was getting better as I went. I've learned that I can't rush through and that I have to sew at a certain speed. All the advice I've read to date says to go very, very fast, the faster the better. I found when I did my lines got more jagged and uncontrollable so I think I've found a speed where my hands and feet are on the same page, which from other bits of advice I've read is really all the speed I need.


And the back. I wound up stippling a lot smaller than I thought I would. I found it easier to control small movements so next I'm going to practice a looser stipple.

1 comment:

  1. Great work Mary-Anne, It is one of those things that the more you practice the easier it gets! The great thing about stippling is that when its finished and washed, you cant see your mistakes so dont worry about them!!!
    Your top looks great, I can't wait to see it all finished.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...